Share This Article
Real Estate Development Financial Analyst
The Financial Analyst serves as a key member of the financial and accounting team and will work closely with the development and acquisitions team. The position is responsible for assisting with the modelling and analysis of potential real estate development projects, evaluating, and benchmarking existing asset performance, underwriting transactions, forecasting, due diligence, project management. The Financial Analyst conducts business studies and prepares financial reports and models, as needed. Additionally, this position interacts with multiple internal departments including Legal, Leasing, Finance, Accounting, Business Development, Property Management and Construction to achieve financial project goals consistent with company expectations.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Prepare and maintain dynamic financial models.
- Perform financial forecasting, reporting, and operational metrics tracking.
- Work closely with the accounting team to ensure accurate financial reporting.
- Coordinate with other members of the finance and development team to review financial information and forecasts.
- Evaluate financial performance by comparing and analyzing actual results with plans and forecasts.
- Collaborate with the development team and CFO on underwriting criteria and assumptions.
- Assist the leadership team in creating financial and partnership structures.
- Assist with document and contract reviews during due diligence.
- Coordinate with vendors involved with acquisitions and closing transaction coordination.
- Research, advise on, and collaborate with the leadership team on the availability and options for governmental funds in connection with current and potential real estate development projects.
- Perform market research, data mining, business intelligence, and valuation comps.
- Maintain a strong financial analysis foundation for creating forecasts and models.
- Reconcile existing transactions through cross-referencing of incoming and outgoing data.
- Explain complex financial subjects to non-financial personnel.
- Special projects and duties as required.
This position requires a bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, economics, or related field and at least three years of professional financial analysis experience. Additional required competencies for this position include:
- High proficiency in financial modeling concepts and techniques.
- Demonstrated knowledge of project control principles relating to budgeting, scheduling, tracking of actual/committed costs, change control and forecasting, and financial principles.
- Strong fluency with Excel formulas and functions.
- Business-related software experience and skills.
- Strong analytical and data gathering skills.
- Exceptional organization skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Be a self-motivated individual, with proven ability to prioritize tasks, coupled with high attention to detail.
- Good business acumen.
- Ability to handle pressure in time sensitive and deadline driven environment
Having a bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or economics and at least three years’ experience as a financial analyst in the real estate , construction, or financial services industry is preferred for this position. Additional preferred competencies for this position include:
- Proven work experience in a quantitatively heavy role.
- Advanced knowledge of Excel.
- Certified Public Accountant or MBA, a plus
- Familiarity with using Yardi, Real Page and/or Sage