Share This Article
Position Title: Project Manager
Reports To: Vice President of Construction
Classification: Full-time, Exempt
This position is responsible for representing Keystone Construction with clients, consultants, and subcontractors on virtually any range of subjects related to construction. Project Managers are required to make construction project decisions on behalf of the company. In addition, this position plans, directs, coordinates and/or budgets construction projects, with the help of an estimator and project superintendent. Project Managers may participate in the conceptual development of a construction project and oversee its organization, scheduling and implementation. In the performance of this function, it is the Project Manager’s responsibility to protect and promote Keystone Construction’s interests in all matters and to do whatever is reasonably necessary to carry out the positions duties and responsibilities. The Project Manager is responsible for and will be held accountable for the timely completion of the project and ensuring that the project is constructed in strict accordance with plans, specifications, and local codes.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Direct team members (employees and consultants) at all levels of contract administration.
- Control any number of projects at various stages of work.
- Review records of accounts and inputs entries into proper accounts.
- Work with superintendents to plan, organize, and direct activities of construction projects.
- Establish project objectives, policies, procedures, and performance standards within boundaries of company policy and contract specifications.
- Confer with superintendents on work procedures, complaints, and construction problems.
- Initiate and maintain liaison with owners and other contacts to facilitate project activities.
- Monitor and control project through administrative direction of on-site superintendent to ensure project is completed on schedule and within budget.
- Investigate potentially serious situations and implement corrective measures.
- Administer construction contracts and conducts periodic onsite observation of work during construction to monitor compliance with plans.
- Represent company in project meetings and attend strategy meetings.
- Prepare studies and reports.
- Direct activities of workers engaged in preparing drawings and specification documents.
- Work with contract administrator to manage financial aspects of contracts to protect company’s interest and simultaneously maintain good relationship with the customer.
- Interpret and explain plans and contract terms to administrative staff, workers, and clients.
- Formulate reports concerning work progress, costs and scheduling.
- May requisition supplies and materials to complete project
Non-Essential Functions and Other Duties
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this position. Other duties and activities may be assigned by senior management and essential functions are subject to change at any time with or without notice.
This position requires a bachelor’s degree in construction management, construction science, construction engineering, or a related field and at least ten years of project management experience in multi-family, mixed-use, urban high rise, and/or commercial construction. Competencies for this position include:
- Project management
- Communication proficiency
- Leadership skills
- Mathematical skills
- Teamwork orientation
- Time management
- Problem solving/analysis
- Financial management.
Having a master’s degree and at least fifteen years of construction project management experience in multi-family, retail, medical, hotel, high-rise, and/or educational construction projects is preferred for this position. Possessing project management experience in at least three of the aforementioned construction types is highly preferred.
This is a full-time position that operates in a professional office environment and on job sites. While in the office, a project manager routinely uses standard office equipment, such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, and fax machines. While performing the on-site duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts, and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to a variety of extreme conditions at construction job sites. The noise level in the work environment and job sites can be loud. This position is often performed in outside weather conditions.
The following physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. A Project Manager is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. A Project Manager must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Personal Work Relationships
Must have the ability to work well with other employees, as well as with the general public, while maintaining a positive attitude at all times.
Minimal to no travel is expected for this position.
Directly supervises 2+ employees and consultants involved in each project. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; and addressing complaints and resolving problems
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, essential functions, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.