Share This Article
Position Title: Project Engineer
This position is responsible for assisting the Project Manager in ensuring projects are completed on time, within budget, and on schedule. The Project Engineer is the coordination person between the Project Manager, Site Superintendent, Design Team, and Owner, assisting the Project Manager and Superintendent with the organization, scheduling, and implementation of construction projects. This position oversees document control for multiple projects, from the plans and specifications to RFI’s, submittals, and project O & M manuals upon completion of the project. The Project Engineer is responsible for the tracking and negotiation of change orders for the projects they are assigned to. It is the responsibility of a Project Engineer to help protect and promote Keystone Construction’s interests in all matters and to do whatever is reasonably necessary to carry out the position’s duties and responsibilities.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Maintain control of all project documentation, including the coordination and maintenance of any special inspection documentation for the project.
- Maintain and distribute project plans.
- Maintain and update project records.
- Assist the Project Manager/Superintendent in creating and distributing the project schedule.
- Study job specifications to determine appropriate construction methods.
- Assist project team with conflict resolution between the owner, contractor, and subcontractor.
- In charge of turning in submittals from subcontractors to A/E for approval for all scopes of work-based of the plans and specifications.
- Responsible for understanding project plans and answering field personnel questions.
- Interpret and explain plans and contract terms to administrative staff, workers, and clients.
- Assist Project Manager/Owner in getting building permits for the project.
- Understand appropriate building codes/regulations
- Coordinate project change order management, creation, and negotiation.
- Assist with site safety documentation and coordination, job progress tracking, and scheduling, as needed.
- Assist with the closeout of construction projects.
- Assist accounting with monthly subcontractor billings and pay applications.
- Assist Project Manager with assigned tasks.
- Confer with Project Manager and Superintendents on work procedures, complaints, and construction problems.
- Work in coordination with Project Manager to protect company’s interest and simultaneously maintain a good relationship with the clients and subcontractors.
Non-Essential Functions and Other Duties
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this position. Other duties and activities may be assigned by senior management and essential functions are subject to change at any time with or without notice.
This position requires a bachelor’s degree in construction management, construction science, construction engineering, civil engineering, or a related field and at least one year of project engineer experience in multi-family, mixed-use, urban high rise, and/or commercial construction. Competencies for this position include:
- Project coordination
- Ability to understand project plans and specifications
- Communication proficiency
- Leadership skills
- Mathematical skills
- Teamwork orientation
- Time management
- Problem solving/analysis
Having a bachelor’s degree and at least three years of construction project engineering experience in multi-family, retail, medical, hotel, high-rise, and/or educational construction projects is preferred for this position. Possessing project engineering experience in at least three of the aforementioned construction types is highly preferred.