Share This Article
Director of Marketing and Communications
Position Title: Director of Marketing and Communications
The Director of Marketing and Communications leads all efforts to formulate, execute, and sustain comprehensive marketing strategies to support the company-wide and divisional business objectives. This position is responsible for strategically coordinating the branding of all Keystone entities, as well as providing marketing, business development, and advertising materials for Keystone Group. This position takes ownership in creating and completing corporate communications, marketing, and public relations for all Keystone entities and projects, both in development and construction. In addition to marketing leadership responsibilities, this position is in charge of proactive social media marketing, ensuring all corporate presentations and communications are appropriately branded, website updates, timely and coordinated responses to RFQs and RFPs, and other marketing and public relations materials to increase positive awareness of Keystone entities.
The Director of Marketing & Communications is in charge of creating and maintaining a proactive social media plan, as well as providing quality writing, graphic design, and creative skills to showcase a comprehensive understanding of the company’s divisions and entities. This position takes care of all aspects of the internal and external company newsletter, while also being responsible for designing, compiling, organizing, and maintaining staff resumes, project descriptions, project photography, and other marketing materials. The Director of Marketing & Communications is also responsible for writing content, and creating materials for real estate development flyers, news releases, broker blasts, property and project signage, industry and trade publications, print/digital media, email newsletters, news releases, and industry award/recognition programs.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
- Guide and direct all marketing efforts to formulate, execute and sustain comprehensive marketing strategies to support the company-wide and divisional business objectives.
- Evaluate and leverage market research, industry insights and information as a foundation of building strategic marketing initiatives for all areas of the company.
- Continually evaluate marketing, communications, and public relations strategies, adapting when necessary, to ensure positive and effective branding of the company.
- Ensure marketing resources and strategies align effectively to the strategic direction of the entire company.
- Work closely with Property Management, Development, and Construction departments to ensure that marketing and sales strategies are compatible; evaluating long and short-term strategic and tactical implications; implementing mid-course alterations or improvements to address changing market conditions.
- Ensure standardization and uniformity in marketing efforts across all business divisions, including business development best practices, and client management strategies.
- Ensure all company employees maintain access to company resources as it relates to marketing materials, marketing technology, design, and market research.
- Create and oversee the short-term and long-term budgets for the marketing, communications, and public relations programs and its related activities by monitoring progress, assuring adherence and evaluating performance.
- Produce written content for industry and trade publications, awards, print/digital media advertising, association newsletters, broker blasts, property and project signage, property flyers, company news releases, and press announcements in a timely manner to obtain approval of draft and final versions from internal stakeholders.
- Facilitate delivery of marketing materials needed from architects, engineers, and other consultants to meet required deadlines.
- Proactively facilitate and update information and materials on the company website and social media platforms, as needed.
- Manage and continually update the company’s photography inventory, including obtaining photography of company projects and staff resume/website pictures to ensure all material is up to date and supportive of company branding.
- Produce marketing, communication, and public relations materials of high quality, which includes consistency, creative writing free of grammatical errors, photography, organization, page layout, cover page, binding, and information that is well-researched and factually checked.
- Read applicable materials and attend online industry education conferences to improve knowledge of industry, software, style, content, appearance, photography and other matters related to marketing materials to assist the company in maintaining a current and fresh approach to all marketing, communication, and public relations materials.
- Create and maintain a calendar of conferences and special events related to Business Development and Community Relation activities.
- Be a member of the advance team for CEOs speaking events, including, but not limited to event set up, event coordination, event photography, and event publicity and promotion.
- Facilitate company stakeholders to create a proactive list/plan of possible industry awards and assist in selection of company related projects based on criteria of awards. Create comprehensive list of past awards to use for company advertising and marketing materials, updating the list as needed to capture new award information.
- Write applications for awards in a timely and proactive manner that result in quality submittals. This includes researching submission deadlines, award decision-makers, and key dates when awards are decided and recognition events.
- Demonstrate initiative and readiness to act on opportunities beyond what is required or expected, bringing out creative, innovative and resourceful ideas of self and others. Mobilize others through enterprising efforts, enthusiasm and passion.
- Ensure excellent communication, expressing ideas clearly in an organized and effective manner; extracting relevant information from written material; being effective in written and verbal communication; encouraging collaboration among team members, while building credibility and rapport.
Non-Essential Functions and Other Duties
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of job functions or responsibilities that are required to successfully perform this position. Other duties and activities may be assigned by senior management and essential functions are subject to change at any time with or without notice.
This position requires a bachelor’s degree in marketing or a related field and at least 8 years’ experience in corporate marketing. Competencies for this position include:
- Advanced oral and written communication skills.
- Proven experience in developing and implementing a marketing strategy.
- Knowledge of and past participation in corporate public relations.
- Experience with online marketing, including social media and website content.
- Solid knowledge of website analytics tools.
- Strong analytical and project management skills.
- Ability to work outside of standard office hours, when needed.
- Results oriented and solution focused mindset.
- High degree of accountability.
- Ability to multitask, prioritize, and meet changing deadlines.
- Strong creative outlook.
- Ability to perform all essential functions listed within the position description.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
Having at least 10 years’ experience in corporate marketing, within the real estate or construction industry. Preferred competencies include:
- Experience in graphic design.
- Experience in coordinating corporate branding throughout multiple departments.
- Knowledgeable in the production of RFPs, RFQs, and RFIs.
- Proven ability to research and apply for industry awards.
This is a full-time position that operates in a professional office environment and requires appropriate professional dress. The Director of Marketing & Communications routinely uses standard office equipment, such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and other digital equipment. This position is both sedentary and mobile by nature and requires the ability to speak, hear, stand, sit, walk, lift up to 20 lbs., use manual dexterity, and reach with hands and arms. This position occasionally visits indoor job sites and outdoor job sites, potentially being exposed to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts, vibrations, and other extreme conditions commonly found at construction job sites. The noise level while in the office is low, but on job sites can be loud.
Personal Work Relationships
In addition to the reporting structure, internally, this position interacts regularly with the Vice President and Chief of Staff, Vice President of Construction, Vice President of Development, Director of Property Management – Residential and Commercial, Project Managers, and Executive Assistant to the President. Must have the ability to work well with other employees, as well as with the general public, while maintaining a positive attitude at all times.
Travel is expected for this position in connection with visiting property and construction sites.
This position does not currently have direct supervisory responsibilities but will coordinate with multiple team members and is responsible for supervising overall marketing efforts, including the indirect supervision of team members working on marketing, communication, and public relation efforts.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, essential functions, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.